Chicken & Waffle Sundae with Spicy Maple Caramel
Ice cream for breakfast? Yes please. This hot & cold, sweet & savory combo hits you with a kick of spice. You will never view your morning waffles the same again. Feel free to add extra toppings like toasted nuts or shredded coconut. This is your sundae after all!
Cook Time: 15 min | Makes: 2 waffles
- Nowadays Nuggets
- Eclipse Vintage Vanilla Ice cream
- Spicy maple caramel sauce (recipe below)
- Waffles (recipe below)
Spicy Maple Caramel:
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (100% pure)
- 2 TB brown sugar
- 2 TB cultured butter (@miyokocreamery)
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk (in a can)
- ⅛ tsp chipotle powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 TB neutral oil
- 3 TB maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 TB cornstarch
- Combine maple syrup and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the candy thermometer reaches 235º.
- Once mixture reaches 235º remove from heat and stir in butter, chipotle powder and salt. Once butter is melted, add coconut milk and stir just to incorporate.
- Let cool, and place into the refrigerator. Caramel will thicken as it cools.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine Soymilk and vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Mix together flour, salt, baking powder and cornstarch.
- Add oil, maple syrup, and vanilla to the soy milk mixture.
- Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Once combined, spoon half the batter into the waffle maker and cook according to your waffle iron's directions.
Top hot waffles with Eclipse vintage vanilla ice cream, crispy Nowadays nuggets and drizzle with spicy maple caramel sauce. Dig in and enjoy a brunch that tastes like dessert!