Chicken & Waffles
Breakfast for dinner? Dinner for breakfast? Either way, you’ll love our modern twist on this classic favorite.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Serves: 4+ | Difficulty: Medium
- ½ cup gluten-free flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1Tbsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup your preferred* butter, melted
- ⅓ cup aquafaba (the liquid/brine in a can of cooked chickpeas)
- 12 Nowadays Nuggets
- 1 cup warm maple syrup (or honey)
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Thaw Nowadays Nuggets while you prepare the batter.
- In a large bowl, add gluten-free flour, oat flour, almond flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, & sugar. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, vanilla, & melted butter. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add aquafaba & whisk vigorously (or beat on high in a mixer) until soft peaks form.
- Add wet ingredients (excluding aquafaba) to the dry ingredients & whisk until just combined. Then add whipped aquafaba & fold into the batter with a mixing spoon until just combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place nuggets in the oven on a baking sheet & bake for 12 min. Then remove.
- Preheat your waffle griddle.
- Medium dice the nuggets & set aside.
- Once the griddle is hot, add the recommended amount of batter. Sprinkle ~8 pieces of diced Nowadays nuggets on top of batter.
- Cook for 6-7 min or until golden brown & crispy.
- Remove from the griddle. Garnish with powdered sugar & maple syrup.
- Skip this 13th step if you’re superstitious. Otherwise, snap a pic and show us your waffles @eatNowadays!
Elevate your plate: Try replacing syrup with a berry (or other fruit) compote. You can also try adding a sprinkle of chocolate chips at the same time as the nuggets if your sweet tooth gets your better side.
*Your preferred: Nowadays, we prefer the deliciousness of plant-based milk & dairy products. Try them out if you haven’t already!