Nothing beats the cheesy goodness of this hot and crispy nugget cheesesteak. This sando is over the top loaded with a delicious caramelized onion aioli and a homemade roasted garlic cheese sauce. Just don't forget those cherry peppers! Pure perfection. 👌
Cook Time: 30 minute (1 hour to roast garlic) | Makes: 4 sandwiches
- 20 Nowadays nuggets, cooked
- Hot or mild sweet cherry peppers
- 4 Sandwich rolls
Caramelized onion aioli:
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 cup mayo*
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt & pepper
Roasted garlic cheese sauce:
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 TB nutritional yeast
- 1 TB miso paste
- ¼ c white wine (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TB dijon mustard
- 1 TB tapioca flour
- 2 small heads garlic, roasted and peeled (see note)
- 2 cups water
- Heat a saute pan over medium-low heat. Add olive oil and diced onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook slowly for 20-30 minutes until deep golden brown and sweet.
- While the onions cook, you can make your roasted garlic cheese sauce. Place cheese sauce ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour cheese mixture into a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat stirring frequently as the sauce thickens.
- Once your onions are cooked and caramelized mix with mayo, onion powder and additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble your sandwich by toasting the roll, and smear on a generous amount of onion aioli. Load on the nuggets, mild or hot cherry peppers and a generous amount of cheese sauce over the top.
*Your preferred: Nowadays, we prefer the deliciousness of plant-based milk & dairy products. Try them out if you haven’t already!
NOTE: To roast garlic. Cut ¼” off the top portion off the head of garlic (exposing the cloves inside), drizzle with olive oil, wrap into a foil packet and roast in a 400º oven for 60 minutes.